MVAPICH2 (MPI-3 over OpenFabrics-IB, OpenFabrics-iWARP, PSM, uDAPL and TCP/IP)
This is an MPI-3 implementation. The latest release is MVAPICH2 2.0b (includes MPICH-3.1b1). It is available under BSD licensing.The current release supports the following ten underlying transport interfaces:
- OFA-IB-CH3: This interface supports all InfiniBand compliant devices based on the OpenFabrics Gen2 layer. This interface has the most features and is most widely used. For example, this interface can be used over all Mellanox InfiniBand adapters, IBM eHCA adapters and Qlogic adapters.
This interface supports all InfiniBand
compliant devices based on the
OpenFabrics libibverbs layer with the emerging
Nemesis channel of the
MPICH2 stack. This interface can be used by all Mellanox
- OFA-iWARP-CH3: This interface supports all iWARP compliant devices supported by OpenFabrics. For example, this layer supports Chelsio T3 adapters with the native iWARP mode.
- OFA-RoCE-CH3: This interface supports the emerging RoCE (RDMA over Convergence Ethernet) interface for Mellanox ConnectX-EN adapters with 10/40GigE switches.
- PSM-CH3: This interface provides native support
for InfiniPath adapters from QLogic over PSM interface. It provides
high-performance point-to-point communication for both
one-sided and two-sided operations.
- uDAPL-CH3: This interface supports all network-adapters and software stacks which implement the portable DAPL interface from the DAT Collaborative. For example, this interface can be used over all Mellanox adapters, Chelsio adapters and NetEffect adapters. It can also be used with Solaris uDAPL-IBTL implementation over InfiniBand adapters.
- Shared-Memory-CH3: This interface provides native shared
memory support on multi-core platforms where communication is
required only within a node. Such as SMP-only systems, laptops,
- TCP/IP-CH3: The standard TCP/IP interface (provided by MPICH2) to work with a range of network adapters supporting TCP/IP interface. This interface can be used with IPoIB (TCP/IP over InfiniBand network) support of InfiniBand also. However, it will not deliver good performance/ scalability as compared to the other interfaces.
- TCP/IP-Nemesis: The standard TCP/IP interface (provided by MPICH2 Nemesis channel) to work with a range of network adapters supporting TCP/IP interface. This interface can be used with IPoIB (TCP/IP over InfiniBand network) support of InfiniBand also. However, it will not deliver good performance/ scalability as compared to the other interfaces.
- Shared-Memory-Nemesis: This interface provides native shared memory support on multi-core platforms where communication is required only within a node. Such as SMP-only systems, laptops, etc.
MVAPICH2 2.0b provides many features including MPI-3 standard compliance, single copy intra-node communication using Linux supported CMA (Cross Memory Attach), Checkpoint/Restart using LLNL's Scalable Checkpoint/Restart Library (SCR), high-performance and scalable InfiniBand hardware multicast-based collectives, enhanced shared-memory-aware and intra-node Zero-Copy collectives (using LiMIC), high-performance communication support for NVIDIA GPU with IPC, collective and non-contiguous datatype support, integrated hybrid UD-RC/XRC design, support for UD only mode, nemesis-based interface, shared memory interface, scalable and robust daemon-less job startup (mpirun-rsh), flexible process manager support (mpirun-rsh and hydra.mpiexec), full autoconf-based configuration, portable hardware locality (hwloc) with flexible CPU granularity policies (core, socket and numanode) and binding policies (bunch and scatter) with SMT support, flexible rail binding with processes for multirail configurations, message coalescing, dynamic process migration, fast process-level fault-tolerance with checkpoint-restart, fast job-pause-migration-resume framework for pro-active fault-tolerance, suspend/resume, network-level fault-tolerance with Automatic Path Migration (APM), RDMA CM support, iWARP support, optimized collectives, on-demand connection management, multi-pathing, RDMA Read-based and RDMA-write-based designs, polling and blocking-based communication progress, multi-core optimized and scalable shared memory support, LiMIC2-based kernel-level shared memory support for both two-sided and one-sided operations, shared memory backed Windows for one-Sided communication, HugePage support, and memory hook with ptmalloc2 library support. The ADI-3-level design of MVAPICH2 2.0b supports many features including: MPI-2 functionalities (one-sided, dynamic process management, collectives and datatype), multi-threading and all MPI-1 functionalities. It also supports a wide range of platforms (architecture, OS, compilers, InfiniBand adapters (Mellanox and QLogic), iWARP adapters (including the new Chelsio T4 adapter), RoCE adapters and network adapters supporting uDAPL interface). A complete set of features and supported platforms can be found here..
The complete MVAPICH2 2.0b package is available through public anonymous MVAPICH SVN.
Successive versions with additional features (such as collective offload with CORE-Direct and support of advanced features for Nemesis) will be available soon.